Sign of a greater sensitivity to ecology? the wooden clocks They have been making raids in recent years. Just look at the growing number of brand creations specializing in the niche of wooden watches to convince yourself of this.
Timber It is more than just a material. This fundamental element of nature is surrounded by such symbolic power that it is not surprising that watchmakers have used it for a long time.
In addition to its usefulness in the manufacture of tools and objects, wood allows fire. The tree is also seen as a link between earth and sky. This symbolism combines perfectly with that of time and makes wood an element that gives us a strong emotional background.
Wood was widely used to decorate and decorate watches, clocks and cuckoo. Its malleability allows it to be cut, sculpted, painted, used as a base material to combine it with other materials, etc.
Its acoustic properties are also very useful in the context of flashy watches.
Let’s focus on the wooden clock and the advantages (and disadvantages) of the material in its design.
The advantages of wooden watches.
- They are ecological (it is still necessary to ensure their origin in the wood).
- They are unique. Hard to find two perfectly identical wooden watches.
- They are hypoallergenic
- They are very light. I have a watch whose case, dial and even the strap are made of wood, I don’t feel it on my wrist.
- There are many types of wood to satisfy all tastes: acacia, smooth, amaranth, ebony, fir, maple, bamboo, rosewood, palm, etc.
- If you get lost on an island and need to light a fire, you can burn it.
The disadvantages of wooden watches.
- Wood is not as durable as steel. A wooden clock is sensitive to bumps and scratches.
- Do not even imagine swimming with a wooden clock.
- The color of the wood may change according to its nature.